.
.

Toxic Ingestion

Toxic Ingestion is an Emergency for Your Pet

Caring for their animals is a top priority for San Diego pet owners. One of the scariest things that can happen is when you think your furry friend got ahold of something toxic. When this occurs, you need to contact a veterinarian at an animal hospital to find out what to do. The staff at Tierrasanta Veterinary Hospital is ready to help. 

.

Act Immediately

One of the first things to do when you realize that your pet has gotten something toxic is to get it out of their reach. Make sure that you keep a close watch over the pet until you get it to the veterinarian. The sooner the pet receives treatment, the more favorable the outcome is in most cases.

Signs of Toxic Ingestion

You might not see your pet ingest anything, but you should always be watchful for signs of poisoning. These include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Agitation
  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Rashes or skin irritation
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Tremors or convulsions
  • Pale gums

If you notice any of these symptoms, you should get your pet to an animal hospital that has emergency treatments available.

Possible Toxic Substances

Different animals will respond in different manners to substances. Some common toxins include:

  • Dogs: chocolate, onions, raisins, grapes, xylitol
  • Cats: raw eggs, onions, green tomatoes, garlic, xylitol
  • Ferrets: ice cream, chocolate, vegetables, grains
  • Small animals like hamsters: almonds, garlic, rhubarb, citrus fruits, onions

Some other toxins include things like bleach, cleaning chemicals, medications, beauty supplies, and similar substances. It’s best to secure anything that could be hazardous to your pet so you don’t have to worry about them getting ahold of it.

Treatments for Ingesting Toxins

The veterinarian will work to stabilize your pet before they do anything else. If you know what toxin your pet ingested, be sure to let the vet know. This helps them to determine what type of treatment plan to follow.

In some cases, the pet might need to receive medications to counteract the impacts of the toxin. Activated charcoal is sometimes used, and it’s possible that the vet will have to induce vomiting in the pet. Other possibilities might require surgery to address internal issues. Minor cases might not require any treatment.

Contact Tierrasanta Animal Hospital

The veterinarians and staff at Tierrasanta Animal Hospital are ready to help you in a toxic ingestion emergency. Give us a call at 858-224-9459 to let us know you’re on your way, so we can be prepared to help your pet.

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for more articles

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Tierrasanta Veterinary Hospital

Monday:

8:00 AM-7:00 PM

Tuesday:

8:00 AM-7:00 PM

Wednesday:

8:00 AM-2:00 PM

Thursday:

8:00 AM-7:00 PM

Friday:

8:00 AM-7:00 PM

Saturday:

8:00 AM-2:00 PM

Sunday:

Closed